Are you tired of spammy comments?
We all hate spam. Especially those spammy comments that hit our blog posts and send a notification email to our web administrator. There are plugins like Akismet that can help block some of the spam comments but some still get through. Everything from vulgarities to links claiming to sell name brand watches and handbags. If you’re running a WordPress website, there’s something else you can do. Follow these steps to create a comment blacklist that automatically blocks comments containing the most common spam words.
- Go to Github. Scroll down to their manual install, open the text file and copy the list of Comment Blacklist Words
- Login to your WordPress website dashboard and click on Settings in the left sidebar
- Under settings, click on Discussion
- Scroll to the middle of the page and paste your word list into the Comment Blacklist box
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click save
All comments containing these words will automatically be sent to the trash. You can add words to this list but be careful not to include anything you might not want to lose. If you need help with maintenance items like this, backups and updates, consider our WordPress Website Maintenance Package.